Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Radio radio in Denver

I've got to share some of my radio joy with you at this point. This morning I heard Blues Traveler on 99.5 The Mountain here in Denver. It brought back an amusing memory. Let's go back to 1992. The H.O.R.D.E. fest was in it's first year of existence. This free wheelin' jam band super tour was at the Oak Mountian Ampitheater ( a super place, btw). The drive from Hattiesburg was about 5 hours, so I had reserved a room at the only hotel there at that time. We got there early and checked in to the room which was on the first floor right near the lobby. We started partying then walked over to the ampitheater. During the course of the day, we met up with several carloads of folks from Hattiesburg. We partied more, enjoyed the bands. After the show was over, we all walked back to the hotel which was completely booked. Crashing in our room was was Steve Porcari, Gundo, Trey Rhul, Dalton Alley, Kevin, Jennifer, and some others I think. It's kinda hazy. So, we get into the lobby and it's got a bunch of people in it. We follow a group of guys to the rooms. We realized this group of guys was the Spin Doctors and some of Blues Traveler. We got to our door, and they were in the room right across from us. We were all laughing at everything saying hello to these guys when Jennifer smiles real big and asks them "Did you guys go to the show?" It was a moment of pure magic. They were kinda speechless, as were we. I think I said, 'these guys were the show'. We all dove into our room dying with laughter. Jennifer just shrugged and said, "Well, they looked like cool guys".

So, other radio stuff, Here in Denver, my radio listening of late has been mostly Latino. With a broken antenna, it's what my truck picks up best. I'm learning spanish via the radio. So I've got: Super Estrella 92.1 - top latin pop hits : Mega 95.7 Latino and Proud - loud latin dance stuff and spanish rap and remixes : and 96.5 Radio Tricolor - more traditional latino stuff.
then I listen to 106.7 KBPI for my hard rock fix. And of course 97.3 KBCO
and 99.5 The Mountain

I gotta fix my tape player.

No comments: